Source: Smitten Kitchen
Adapted from How to Cook Everything
Note from Wendy: I've made these in a full pan and in individual portions in my square muffin pan. These are to DIE for.
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
Butter an 8×8 pan.
Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions (below).
Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle. I always err on the side of caution with baking times — nobody ever complained about a gooey-middled cookie. Cool on rack before cutting them.
Further additions, use one or a combination of:
• 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, toasting them first for even better flavor (I used)
• 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips (I used)
• 1/2 to 1 cup toffee chips (I used)
• 1/2 to 1 cup coconut (I used)
• 1/2 teaspoon mint extract in addition to or in place of the vanilla
• 1/2 cup mashed bananas
• 1/4 cup bourbon, scotch or other whiskey; increase the flour by one tablespoon
• 2 tablespoons of espresso powder with the vanilla
• Stir 1/2 cup dried fruit, especially dried cherries, into the prepared batter
• Top with a vanilla butter cream or chocolate peanut butter cream frosting