Source: Southern Grace Gourmet
Sweet and Buttery Yeast Rolls
4 1/2 – 5 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons or 1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a small saucepan, combine milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Heat just until warm, about 120 to 130 degrees.
2. In your stand mixer, add 2 cups flour and yeast. Add warm milk mixture and eggs. Beat on low speed until combined, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add your dough hook to the mixer, beat in as much of the flour as you can, I used 4 1/2 cups total flour. Knead on medium for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the dough is stiff, smooth and elastic.
4. Cover the dough, and let it rise in a warm place, until it doubles in size. This will take about one hour. Then punch the dough done, divide it in half, and let it rise another 10 minutes.
5. Shape the dough in 24 balls, or any other shape you want. Place the shapes on a baking sheet. Cover and let rise until they double again, another 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Bake the rolls for 12- 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
--- Make ahead method ---
Prepare as stated above, except after shaping the dough into desired roll shapes, you should place them on a baking sheet, and cover them loosely with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours, or freeze for up to 2 months. If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator first. Remove the rolls and let them stand at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to baking. Bake as instructed above.