Source: Pocket Daydreams
Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa
1-2 fresh jalapeño chiles
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1-15 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes in juice (Hunts makes them)
1/4 cup (loosely packed) chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt to taste (~1/2 tsp)
1. Snip the stems off the jalapeños and roast the chiles and garlic in a pan over medium heat. Keep turning them so that they turn brown and splotchy. It’ll take about 15-20 minutes for the chiles and 10 minutes for the garlic.
2. When the chiles cool down, remove what’s left of the stem and rough chop the chiles. For the garlic, remove the shell and scoop out the soft garlic. Put the chiles and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. I don’t have a food processor so I just put it in a mug and used my hand blender. It still worked.
3. Add the diced tomatoes into the food processor and pulse so that it’s a coarse puree. If you’re using a hand blender like I did, just put it into a bowl and it works the same. You might want to do this over a sink in case you make a mess.
4. Pour into serving dish and stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
5. Salt to taste. Don’t forget that your chips might be salted already. And get good quality chips!