Source: Gourmet Worrier
Leche Frita- Fried Milk
Adapted from The Food of Spain 2008
250mls full fat organic milk
250mls of heavy cream
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 strip of orange zest
1 strip of lemon zest
140g unsalted butter
250g plain organic flour
140g golden caster sugar
4 organic eggs, separated
120g fine dry breadcrumbs
Grapeseed oil, to shallow fry
Cinnamon sugar, for dusting
1. Grease a 27 x 17cm rectangle tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. Then put the milk, cinnamon stick, citrus zest and vanilla bean in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and set aside to allow the milk to infuse.
2. Melt the butter in a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat, then stir in 185g of the flour. The mixture will form a loose clump around your spoon. Reduce the heat to low and then stir in the sugar. Gradually add the strained milk into the saucepan, stirring constantly.
3. Mix for about 10 minutes or until a smooth mass forms and leaves the side of the saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Spread the custard mixture in the tin, ensuring that the surface is smooth. Refrigerate for an hour and allow to set.
5. Lightly whisk the egg whites together. Lift the set custard from the tin and carefully cut into 5cm squares. Dip the squares in the remaining flour and coat all the sides before dipping them into the egg whites and then the breadcrumbs.
6. Pour the oil in a frying pan to the depth of 1cm and heat. Add a few squares at a time and cook for about a minute per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and generously dust with the cinnamon sugar while still hot. Serve immediately and enjoy!