Source: Scrambled Hen Fruit
Aunt Eva's Mud Hen Bars
slightly adapted from Food O' del Mundo
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs (2 of the eggs should be separated)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup brown sugar
* Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
* Cream together butter and white sugar until completely blended.
* Beat in one whole egg and 2 egg yolks. Reserve whites for meringue topping.
* Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Mix until blended.
* Spread into a foil covered 9x13 pan. (Tip: I like to cover my pan with foil, leaving plenty hanging over the ends. When the bars cool I can lift the entire pan of bars out- this makes them so much easier to cut.)
* Sprinkle the nuts, chocolate chips and nuts evenly over the batter.
* Beat reserved egg whites until stiff. Fold in brown sugar. (Tip: To prevent lumps, sift your brown sugar before adding it to the whites.)
* Spread the egg white meringue mixture evenly over nuts, chips and marshmallows.
* Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until batter is set and meringue is lightly browned and crunchy on top.
* Cool completely. Using the foil hanging over the edges of the pan, gently lift the baked bars out of the pan. Peel the foil away and cut into bars. Enjoy!