Source: Culinary Travels
Old Fashioned Lemon Bars
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon icing sugar
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, sliced
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Drop lemon oil (optional)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 180C or the equivalent.
2. In a medium bowl stir together 1 cup of flour and 1/4 cup icing sugar. Cut in the butter until it resembles a coarse meal and work it with your fingertips till it holds together. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 8 inch (square or round) pan.
3. Bake about 15 minutes, until light golden brown. remove, but leave the oven on.
4. Meanwhile, in a meduim bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, beat at a high speed for 10 minutes, until smooth and slightly thickened.
5. On a sheet of waxed paper combine the remaining 2 tablespoons flour with the baking powder and salt, gradually beat into the egg mixture, beating just until smooth.
6. Pour over the baked layer and bake about 20 minutes longer, until set and lightly browned. Cool in the pan on a rack. Sift the remaining icing sugar over the top and cut into bars or in pie shaped pieces